Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Balacan Chilli

My version is very very hot, but:
400g large chillies
200g chilli padi
70g CKC belacan
About 1 tablespoon sugar
Salt to taste

Deseed the chillies... but make sure to wear double the plastic kitchen glove (ie. 2 disposable gloves on each hand), because deseeding the chillies can be very painful to the skin.
Toast the belacan in the toaster oven, or dry-heat the belacan on a frying pan with NO oil.
Blend everything in the ingredient list in a blender and set it aside for about 10 minutes to infuse. Then bottle it in glass bottles.
Freeze portions that you're not using, leave only the bottle you're using in the fridge.

To use, scoop about 2 heaping teaspoon and drizzle lime (sng kam) over the sambal.

My belacan is very very spicy, so I think if you're making it just for a little zing, use less chilli padis and increase the large chillis. Perhaps you might want to reduce the amount you make too. I make this quantity because deseeding is not something I enjoy having to do, so I'd rather make one huge batch, over many small batches.



by Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment